Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Tent Rockin' Time

This week is our kids' Spring Break and R happened to have some vacation days that he needed to use, so he took the whole week off - hooray!


On Tuesday we decided - in "spur of the moment" fashion - to check out a National Monument a friend had told us about. We drove about an hour to the... northwest... I think... anyway, we arrived at the Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument pay station where you are supposed to pay a $5.00 entrance fee. We had no cash. We offered a personal check, but the guy was super nice (L's favorite word is "super", so I use it whenever possible because L is a trend-setter in the making - trust me) and allowed us to go through without paying.


After parking, loading backpack, loading kid in pack and getting dog on leash we trekked off to make a bathroom stop where we unloaded D from pack and took turns keeping track of dog, kids and other miscellaneous items so we could all start our trek with empty bladders. :)



We were all amazed with the scenery and instantly decided we would be returning to this place often. Total, the hike was 3 1/2 miles. Most of the trail was pretty easy, but there were a few difficult areas and a section with some serious gain in altitude. The kids handled themselves like seasoned explorers; minus a couple of spills resulting in minor scrapes. D walked off and on, depending on the terrain and his mood. The kids were literally climbing the walls until I spoiled the fun by bringing up the rules of the trail - I'm such a mom.


It was an excellent day - perfect hiking weather included - and I can't wait for the next one!

6 comments:

Coopcakes said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Your hair is so long and pretty!

DA & J said...

Isn't this place "super" awesome! I can't wait to go back also.

The Silly Witch said...

You live close to super hiking. I so glad you take advantage of it!

Pamela said...

I am so glad you went, it is still on our "to go" list, which is getting longer. You will have to tell me more about it.

Camille said...

What a fun time. Looks like a beauitful hike! I miss hiking i am sure there are places here to do it but i have only found one. Let me know if you know of any others. Oh and i have to say i checked out your cake blog. THey are great!! I am so impressed you havn't been taking the class for long and now you are a full blown pro...Congrats to you...that is awesome!

The Fantastic Four said...

I hate to see what we missed by not coming down! It is absolutely beautiful! What great hikers you have.