Thursday, March 5, 2009

May I Brag?

My daughter, L is amazing. She is funny, smart, stubborn and creative. She is more aware of who she is at six years old, than I am at 31. L is also one of the most complicated personalities I've ever known. Some day, she will be a powerful force in this world. Today, she is a powerful force in our home - some days she is a force for peace and happiness, other days she is a force for yelling and willful disobedience.

Whatever she is, at the moment, she is always a presence that cannot be ignored. I certainly don't tell her enough how much I admire her. Most days, I am simply focusing on how I can attempt to "raise" her without getting "run over" by her energetic will in the process!

I also should mention that L is beautiful - not that I need to point that out. She is my child, so I find her to be the most beautiful girl on the planet - and I don't think that would be any different if she had three eyes or a beard. L is lucky to have been given beauty, but she has bigger things going on inside her head.

L loves to do her own hair. She also loves to assemble her own outfit each day (make that four times a day). There are some limits, but in general I try to give her freedom to dress herself and style her own hair. Six year old fashion can be very interesting! I would be lying if I said that I haven't once or twice felt a little embarrassed by her choices. Because I want her to know that beauty is so much more about how you feel about yourself, than what you look like to other people, I want her to have that freedom.

Ultimately, I want L to be confident that who she is will always be someone that I admire.

3 comments:

Life is a Blessing said...

that was so sweet!!! and fun to read and a great idea for a blog entry when i'm going crazy about not knowing what to blog about!!! she is very beautiful, and in all reality she looks like her mama!!! you are doing great at raising her and.... well girls aren't they just a whole new adventure!?

Coopcakes said...

I really enjoyed reading this one - I think it's a gift to know your child so well, and to have so much respect for her as an individual. L is such a beautiful girl, and I always remember thinking that she is so much wiser than her years! Like the wheels were always turning in her little head! :)

The Fantastic Four said...

WOW! I want to be like L when I grow up! You are such a beautiful mother M - it goes without saying that L would be a beautiful daughter. LOVE YOU!