Thursday, January 22, 2009

13.1, Part Deux

Last weekend, I completed a running commitment that I had failed to accomplish in the past. There had been a couple other attempts at training for and completing a half marathon, but something kept me from actually following through (first time it was an injury, second time it was pure lack of motivation).
So, Rock n' Roll style in Phoenix was the location of my victorious run. My goal was to complete the race in 2:15:00 and I finished in 2:16:07 - I'm totally satisfied. My training was thorough and I don't think I could have run any faster without killing myself :)
The race was HUGE - around 20,000 participants just in the half marathon - crazy! The weather was sooo wonderful and the music was pretty good (it's called Rock n' Roll because they have several live bands along the racing route).
R, the kids and my parents all came to cheer me on. They were so fantastic - waiting in several locations to cheer me on - they were a great boost for me!
Visiting Phoenix was so much fun. We lived there about six years ago, so it was great to visit our old neighborhood and we even got to see a couple of old friends, despite the whirlwind nature of our short stay.
R has already decided he will run in Phoenix next year just to have an excuse to visit again! See you there?

(Q took this picture of my finisher's medal. He also accidentally took an unfortunate photo of my backside that I will not be posting :)

4 comments:

DA & J said...

Congrats!!! That is such a great accomplishment! I also like your new dog...looks like your kids like her too.

Nicole said...

Wow! Way to go, I need your motivation.

Glad to hear your dog is adapting well. Sounds like she is a fun one for the kids.

shelbell said...

So proud of you! Way to go. You look like a pro:)

Camille said...

congrats on the race...you always seemed motived! Great time too! Love the dog looks totally cute and glad that your kids have the pet they have been hoping for! Seeing pics of AZ made me miss home a little bit with all this stinkin cold weather over here right now..but soon enough we will be soakin up the rays with everyone else!