Friday, November 28, 2008

Thankful for Thanksgiving








Every year I dread Thanksgiving. It's sort of a thorn in my holiday side. I always feel a little blue because I'm far from family. It doesn't feel like a big enough event to actually travel for every year, and there are no gifts to soften the absence of loved ones.

I've realized this year that as my kids are getting older, they are beginning to appreciate tradition. This year, my children were excited to take part in the tradition of Thanksgiving. They helped cook and enjoyed being in the kitchen. R and I had little stress because even if the turkey was a disaster, or the potatoes were cold and lumpy, there were no guests to disappoint.

This is not to say I prefer no guests, it just means there are nice things about a holiday sans guests, too. So next year, if you want to come to our place for Thanksgiving, please do. But if not, I will still find plenty to be thankful for.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Thanks for having us over for a movie, we had a great time! Here is the website of the Monument I was telling you about. If you can endure more of us we should go sometime!

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/rio_puerco/kasha_katuwe_tent_rocks.html

DA & J said...

Looks like your Thanksgiving was nice and simple...just how I like it. Why fuss when eating only takes...20 minutes.:)

shelbell said...

Love the braids! Our Thanksgiving was mellow too! I noticed your "Easiest Apple Pie" recipe...don't you just LOVE that magazine?? I love trying stuff out of it! Looks like your dinner was a success:)

Coopcakes said...

What a perfect looking turkey! (the bird, not you) That sounds like our Thanksgiving too - bittersweet without family or guests, but nice just to be us as a family! It's good to have years like that I guess!