Thursday, June 3, 2010

What Do I Hold?

John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.


Russel M. Nelson (of the Quorom of the Twelve) remarks about this scripture, "His peace is not necessarily political; His peace is personal. But that spirit of inner peace is driven away by contention."

We live in a world so contentious, that media companies make serious profits by pitting two opposing sides against one another and we eat it up. As experts "debate" the issues of the day, we allow contention into our lives.

I believe it's our responsibility to stay informed about what's happening in the world and be involved. Can we do this without participating in contentious argument... the kind that doesn't actually solve problems or work towards solutions? Do we have to listen to "our" side bash the "other" side? Can we have inner peace while feeling politically contentious?


Proverbs 11:12 - He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace.

2 comments:

rmn said...

Good questions. This is a hard one to reconcile. No matter your opinion, someone will disagree. Do we defend our point or opinion? I think we can, but we must do it respectfully. This is unproductive unless both sides are respectfully listening to and trying to understand the other point of view. The big issue with this is when the difference of opinion is with the "world" and the Church. When the "world" wants the Church to change its view, without realizing it is not the church, but our Eternal Heavenly Father, who can change the "rules" but is unlikely to do so.

What do you think?

The Silly Witch said...

I love this. When I was younger i remember feeling so at odds with everything, mostly because I didn't understand. The more I understand, the more I love, and the more I understand. It's a powerful cycle, a cycle of peace.