Friday, December 19, 2008

What It's All About

Both of my kids have Christmas parties in their classrooms tomorrow - I suppose they are technically "Holiday" parties, which is fine with me. 'Tis the season for kindness and acceptance of all religions, cultures, etc. For our family, they are Christmas parties.

L's class is having their party at lunch time. Parents and siblings are invited, so D and I will be attending. We were asked to bring pickles to the party. Two jars of pickles - one spears, one sliced. I'm not exactly sure the need for that many pickles, but I'm probably being short-sighted. L isn't very excited by our requested contribution, especially when she found out that Q was asked to bring cookies to his class's party.

So, today Q and I spent some time baking cookies while listening to Christmas music. I LOVED it. Q was really into it - he did most of the work - and he kept saying how great it was that we got to spend this time together... just the two of us. I kept thinking that this is one of those moments that you may have imagined before having children, but couldn't really understand how wonderful it feels. Teaching and sharing my part of the world with my children has been better than I ever could have imagined.

Our snickerdoodles turned out very yummy - great job, Q - but the cookies were only the catalyst for one of my new, favorite Christmas memories.

1 comment:

DA & J said...

It's moments like this that make motherhood the best job in the world.