Sunday, February 24, 2008

White and Lovely


I played in the snow today. It's been a long time since I've done that... mostly because it hasn't snowed much this year. It did snow once a few weeks ago, but it started raining on top of the snow and that did not appeal to me.


This afternoon, I went outside with my kids (and our neighbor V, who is seven years old, and lives at our house part time because she has no siblings her age and apparently can't get enough of us - we like having her around, so it works). We shovelled off the back steps and patio and then found all the hidden treasures buried by the snow; light sabers, yard decorations, lost mittens and lots and lots of mud.


The sun was out and the temperature felt nice. Even after Q threw a snowball at me that dumped bits of snow down my back, I didn't get cold. L did get cold hands. I tried to explain that she should quit using her bare hands to pick up the snow as she eats it, but my advice came too late so she went inside to warm up.


After a carefully measured amount of snowball throwing (I'm not a glutton for punishment) and taking turns on the tree swing, we decided it was time for lunch and headed inside. D took his time; two steps, one mitten full of snow in the mouth, two more steps, one mitten full of snow in the mouth, etc. Once inside, we stripped off the wet outer layers and scattered off in our typical directions.


It was relatively brief, our foray into the snow filled backyard, but it made my day.

1 comment:

The Silly Witch said...

Oh! I feel SO jealous right now. We haven't even been close to snow here in Texas.

What is it about being outside that just makes you feel so alive? I'm glad you played in the snow despite the wet clothes and cold hands.