Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Hop, Skip and a Jump Down Memory Lane

A few weeks ago, R made this great tree swing in the back yard. Every child who visits our house has to try it out (per Q and L's insistence). This swing is a source of great joy - and sometimes major frustration when someone feels gipped out of their proper turn. It has also caused a mother or two (not me) serious anxiety. This swing has made a mark on our lives this summer. It will be remembered fondly. It makes me think of my own childhood and those things that captured my heart at the time. Here are a few:

  • The windmill in the back yard of our neighbor's house in Slidell, Louisiana - my life's first memory is of this tin windmill that seemed to tower so high
  • The top of the staircase going up to the attic in the house my parents built in Louisiana - it was the only place I could pick my nose in peace
  • The ditch behind our house in Billings, MT - not to be confused with the "Big Ditch" which was feared by all children due to the ceaseless reminders of "some kid" that drowned one summer, our ditch was small and held endless amazement... and loads Cattails
  • The fire hydrant in the front yard of the Billings house - we would stand on top of it and strike crazy poses when cars drove past
  • The race car video game at The Soda Fountain in Billings, MT - I can still hear that cheesy background music
  • Any car my parents owned up until the age of about 10 seemed amazing and I would feel content just to sit in it... maybe roll the window up and down a little... open the glove box a few times... push some radio buttons... grab hold the steering wheel and do a little "Dukes of Hazard" drivin'
  • The big pine trees in my Great-Grandparent's yard in Cowley, WY - they were big enough to allow a few of us to hang out under the boughs, so they became our "houses"... it worked great for playing house except that it was almost impossible to keep all those pine needles swept up off the "kitchen" floor
  • Glades Drug Store in West Valley City, UT - my neighborhood friends and I would walk there and get a dollar's worth of Sour Patch Kids (that would mean 100 Sour Patch Kids for the walk home)

5 comments:

rmn said...

This brought a smile to my face, as I too, strolled down memory lane, computer games, etc.

Also, the phrase is " a hop, skip and a jump." I think I have been wrong before, but not about this.

The Fantastic Four said...

It must be my age, but I too have been reminiscing alot lately. I want a better picture of this swing. AWESOME!!!

Also, runfarther is correct: "a hop, skip and a jump":)

The Silly Witch said...

Isn't being a kid great? It's such a shame I didn't fully appreciate it at the time. We used to walk to "the store" and by penny candies as well. Another of my childhood memories was when my family used to go to the lake. My Dad introduced me to swing someone had made near one of the docks. We had to climb a hill and then we dropped far before we hit the water. I was so scared every time I did it, but I will never forget the thrill!

EDS said...

Fabulous blog! I always knew you were a wonderful writer, and I love that I can enjoy it often!

Unknown said...

Childhood is magic. You really brought those things back to me. Whether something is impressive or terrifying, it is so much bigger when you are are child. I guess that's why kids are fun to listen to.